Sunday, February 7, 2010

Charles Dickens

The most popular English novelist of the Victorian era, Dickens is still recognised as one of our greatest novelists.
Surely we have all read and enjoyed at least one of his novels.
The most famous loved by so many is probably “A Christmas Carol”


He was born on this day in 1812 and already plans have been set in motion for his centenary in two years time, which is why I felt he deserved a mention here today.


Charles Dickens 2012   If you are interested this is the link to follow.


I have at least six of his novels on my classics bookshelf and although I rarely re-read novels, I am going to make an exception and have set myself a challenge to read them all again over the next two years in recognition of his centenary.


I will of course report here as to how I am getting on!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dickens



Charles Dickens
BornCharles John Huffam Dickens
7 February 1812
Landport, Portsmouth, England
Died9 June 1870 (aged 58)
Gad's Hill Place, Higham, Kent, England
Resting placePoets' Corner, Westminster Abbey
OccupationNovelist
Notablework(s)Sketches by Boz, The Old Curiosity Shop, Oliver Twist,Nicholas Nickleby, Barnaby Rudge, A Christmas Carol, Martin Chuzzlewit, A Tale of Two Cities,David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Bleak House, Little Dorrit, Hard Times, Our Mutual Friend, The Pickwick Papers
Signature