- Paperback: 492 pages
- Genre: Romantic Fiction
- Publisher: Amazon Digital Services 2010 and Good to go Press 2011
- Source: eBook provided by the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
- Review Quote: "A wonderful debut novel by a talented writer. Nell Dixon, author of "Animal Instincts"
- A Favourite Quote: “The role that ancient mythology has in modern fiction is little appreciated, but nonetheless undeniable. All modern themes are merely re-workings of ancient tales and have been told around the fire since time immemorial…”
- My Opinion: I doubt I would have chosen to read this if left to my own devices. However I am so glad I had the opportunity to do so.
The June post with a list of books that the other people taking part are reading this month has already been posted. June Reviews
Ask Me If I’m Happy is a strong romantic novel strengthened by the setting and the use of the Italian language, which make this novel a perfect read, not only for fans of romantic novels but those who love all things Italian. The Italian presence is very evident and the author shares her flaws not just her beauty.
The two protagonists are Emily Miller and Davide Magnani they fall in love at first sight! I am not sure I believe in this actually being love when there is an instant chemistry between two people. I think love and true friendship is something that grows from those first attractions. It is not a simple relationship though as these feelings strike on the day Emily is leaving Italy to return to her native America, she thinks for ever after having had her heart broken by another Italian male. We all know that the path of true love is never simple and these two certainly have a rollercoaster of a relationship with coincidences, lies and hidden truths all getting in the way before Davide is able to convince Emily that Italy is where she should be.
Kimberley's writing is very realistic and her characters all feel very believable while her descriptions will make you feel you are in Italy. As I am not a great fan of too good to be true romance I was at times a little frustrated with their behaviour but I got caught up in the dream. I was a little surprised that I enjoyed this as much as I did. I think it was because of the talent of this young lady in her portrayal of a modern love affair.
A very enjoyable choice for my Italy in Books - Reading Challenge 2011 this month.
Kimberly Menozzi – Facebook Photo.
An aspiring writer from the age of eight, American born Kimberly Menozzi began writing her first stories instead of paying attention in school. In 2003, she met, fell in love and married a year later an Italian accountant named Alessandro. She has lived in Italy ever since and in 2007, inspired by her love/hate relationship with Italy the novel Ask Me If I'm Happy was completed in 2009.
Information for this post is with thanks to the following websites.
I also post these ‘Italy in Books’ reviews on my other blog