Monday, October 3, 2011

The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison

 

                            Medium

 

  • Paperback: 306 pages
  • Genre: Literary Fiction
  • Publisher: Alma Books ltd 2009 
  • Source: A surprise from another Bookcrosser
  • First Sentence : ‘Prologue May 1964, My dearest, Of all the many people we met in a lifetime, it is strange that so many of us find ourselves in thrall to one particular person.’
  • Review Quote : “Without question one of the best debuts I have read in recent years” John Boyne, author.
  • My Opinion: Impressive first novel.

    If you decide to read this be prepared for an emotional read in this impressive first novel which tackles in a very atmospheric way the coming of age story of a young girl evacuated during WWII. Anna is constantly searching for love and acceptance, whilst surrounded by others that fail to communicate with each other. I found myself at times urging the characters to talk to each other.

    Anna Sands is eight years old in August 1939 when with England on the brink of war she is evacuated from London to a large Yorkshire estate. The home of Elizabeth and Thomas Ashton is turned into both home and school for the evacuees that this childless couple welcome into their lives. Drawn into their unhappy relationship Anna finds herself coping not only with her own feelings of loss and survival, but also those of Thomas who becomes a mentor of sorts to her.

    The characters will certainly be with me for awhile and the title is certainly very apt. I looked up the words of the song of the same title "The very thought of you, and I forget to do those little ordinary things that everyone ought to do....".

    Love can be so cruel is to me the haunting memory that reading this moving novel reminds me. Not just a love story, but a story about love. As one of my favourite books this year I certainly recommend this one.

    Rosie AlisonAuthor photo

    Rosie Alison was born in 1964, grew up in Yorkshire, and read English at Keble College, Oxford. She spent ten years directing television documentaries before becoming a film producer at Heyday Films. She is married with two daughters and lives in London. Her debut novel THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU (2009), which made it onto the Amazon Rising Stars shortlist and was longlisted for the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year and the Prince Maurice Prize 2010, was shortlisted for the 2010 Orange Prize for Fiction.

    Author photo and biographical information courtesy of authors Goodreads Profile 

    If you are interested in learning more about Rosie Alison, I  found an interesting interview. Almabooks Author Interview - Rosie Alison 

  • 9 comments:

    1. Oh wow! I do have this one hovering on my TBR shelf, calling me to read it.
      I must find time for it.

      great review

      carol

      ReplyDelete
    2. DizzyC@ Oh do I would love to know your opinion as the Book crossers who read it before me, did not like it at all!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm very intrigued to read this one, Linda. I love WWII stories and this one sounds really interesting.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Gosh, I'm finding it hard to keep up with your book reviews at the moment, Linda. They seem to be coming thick and fast!! The story certainly does sound as if it's one that I would like, and it's interesting to read that this is one of your favourite books this year. Has to go on my (ever-lengthening!) list then!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Rambling Tart@ It is and different from many others, worth tracking down a copy if you can.

      Thisisme@ Sorry Diane, I am publishing all my October reviews this week, to hopefully keep you all busy reading them while I am away. It sounds like I am keeping you supplied with ideas.

      ReplyDelete
    6. This book as one of your favorite books this year is a huge compliment. I will surely check this book out. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sorry I missed replying earlier somehow, have you managed to get hold of a copy yet?

        Delete
    7. This book is one of those you will remember for a long time. With the impending war in 1939 children are being evacuated and placed with families in other areas to escape the Blitz. This is the story of one girl, Anna Sands and how she watched a family fall apart due to adultery and lies. A heart-breaking story seen through the eyes of innocence with a love-story that will make you smile.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thankyou for calling by Ceska and taking the time to leave a comment, it was certainly an emotional read.

        Delete

    I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.