Friday, May 26, 2023

The Mother Next Door by Leah Mercer

                                                 


Ebook:  255 pages      

Genre: Contemporary Thriller,Fiction                                           

Publisher:  February 27, 2023 by Bookouture

Source: My Kindle

First Sentences: The river pulled at the shape floating in its waters, playfully passing it from one wave to the next, completely oblivious to the panic and fear of the women watching from the bank.

Review Quote: ‘My Gosh! You just never know what you will find when you go back to your childhood home… Wow!… I was absolutely 100% positive that I had figured out the story and then??? NO! There are so many secrets… Hang on folks! This is so well done and anyone who adores a good thriller will truly want to grab this novel!’ Goodreads reviewer⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Setting: England

My Opinion:  A great plot, how well does one really know your friends and neighbours?!  This was a gripping read as the three main protagonists, Fiona, Alison and Jasmine each tell the story from their own point of view as their joint nightmare unfolds.

Recommended if you enjoy a suspenseful thriller with plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing.


Précis Courtesy of Goodreads:


I glance over at Lou’s house as I pull onto my drive, surprised that it is still in darkness. Lou and the kids should have been home from school long ago. I should be preparing a delicious meal for my children as they tell me about their day. But Lou’s car is nowhere to be seen…


The night is drawing in and Lou has still not returned. I try not to panic, but deep down I know something is wrong. Lou is the most dependable friend. Our children are at the same school. We always help each other out, and she cares for my two like only a mother can.


As a storm rages outside and local news reports tell everyone to stay indoors, a feeling of deep dread starts to swell. Then the call comes. The police have found Lou’s car, with my children’s schoolbags still inside along with Lou’s phone. But they are nowhere to be seen.


Clutching my husband’s hands, willing our children to be found safe and sound, I try to silence the voice inside my head. I’ve not been honest. I’m being punished for what happened all those years ago.


And then I get Lou’s message and I know that if I want to see my children again, I need to tell the truth to everyone I love.


What I don’t yet know is that Lou has been keeping her own dark secret. And once the storm passes, nothing will ever be the same again.



Author Profile:                

                                                                                   Leah Mercer (3) - Resized.jpg

                                           Courtesy of Authors Website

Leah, who was born in Halifax, Canada, can't remember a time when she didn't love writing. From creating fake newspapers to writing letters to the editor, scribbling something was always on the agenda. Even the rejections she received after completing her first novel at age 13 didn't dent her enthusiasm.

So it makes sense, then, that she pursued a career in anything but writing. Public relations, teaching, recruitment, editing medical journals -- even a stint painting houses -- until she finally succumbed once more to the lure of the blank page. 

When she's not being jumped on by her young son or burning supper while thinking of plot-lines, Leah can be found furiously tapping away on her laptop, trying not to check Twitter or Facebook. 

Leah also writes romantic comedies under the name Talli Roland. 

Photographs and Biographical Information courtesy of the following sites:

Author -Official Website  Facebook Profile   Leah Mercer - Twitter Profile

Instagram Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.