Tuesday, July 12, 2022

The Glass House by Eve Chase

 


Hardback:   387 pages

Genre: Fiction, Suspense, Family Mystery, 

Publisher: Penguin, Random House, 2020

Source:  Tywyn Public Library

First Sentence: The forest looks like it'll eat them alive, thinks Rita.

Review Quote: 'A captivating mystery: beautifully written, with a rich sense of place, a cast of memorable characters and lots of deep, dark secrets' Author - Kate Morton

My Opinion: I have only just discovered Eve Chase’s writing and finding her style very appealing in ‘The Glass House’ have added her to my list of favourite authors as I definitely want to read more of her novels.

A dual timeline this story is an emotive one and the setting in an old house on the edge of a forest adds tremendously to the atmosphere. A riveting read full of family secrets with appealingly portrayed characters, that the reader cannot fail to become emotionally attached to. The past and present stories link together well which keeps up the intrigue and the reader engrossed.

Devoured in a couple of days, which is hopefully a recommendation. This one should certainly appeal if you are a fan of family mysteries.


Précis Courtesy of Goodreads: 

Outside a remote manor house in an idyllic wood, a baby girl is found.

The Harrington family takes her in and disbelief quickly turns to joy. They're grieving a terrible tragedy of their own and the beautiful baby fills them with hope, lighting up the house's dark, dusty corners. Desperate not to lose her to the authorities, they keep her secret, suspended in a blissful summer world where normal rules of behaviour - and the law - don't seem to apply.

But within days a body will lie dead in the grounds. And their dreams of a perfect family will shatter like glass.

Years later, the truth will need to be put back together again, piece by piece . . .


Author Profile:         


Courtesy of  Clare Borg-Cook

The following is what Eve has to say about herself on her Website.

I write from a studio/shed in my townhouse garden in Oxford. A small space, it's perfect for cooking up bigger ones. I love to write about sprawling, dysfunctional families in curious, characterful settings. A crime usually beats at the heart of my books. As I love stories that envelope you in their world but also read at a page-turning pace, I try to write them too. 


Married with three children. Owner of a very hairy golden retriever called Harry. 

Studied English Literature at Manchester University and went on to do a post-grad in journalism. I once edited a street fashion magazine, Scene (no longer on the scene, or in existence) and wrote for many publications including Dazed and Confused, Punch, InStyle, Red, Marie-Claire, You and national newspapers.

I read all the time, happily hopping between authors and genres. My ever changing list of favourite authors include Maggie O'Farrell, Liane Moriarty, Kate Atkinson, Elizabeth Strout, Diane Athill, Donna Tartt, Lisa Jewell, Raymond Carver, Jane Austen, Kate Morton, Hilary Mantel, and Barbara Vine.

I love hearing from readers. You really make all the hours writing away on my own worthwhile. Please drop by on Insta/Facebook/Twitter and say hello.

Thank you so much to those of you who've taken the time to read my books, review and blog about them. 

Happy reading! 

Photographs and Biographical Information courtesy of the following sites:

Instagram Profile  Author's Official Website  Eve Chase - Facebook Profile

Twitter - EvePollyChase   Amazon Author Page  Eve Chase - Goodreads Author Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.