Monday, May 9, 2022

Call of the Penguins by Hazel Prior

 


Paperback: 383 pages

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Publisher: Black Swan 2021

Source:  Tywyn Public Library

First Sentence: 'I have asked Eileen to find us some penguins in Scotland.'

Review Quote: This gorgeous book has everything! Mysteries, misunderstandings, arguments, reconciliations, kindness, love and lots of PENGUINS! ― Clare Pooley, author of The Authenticity Project

My Opinion: When I read ‘Away with the Penguins’ earlier this year I found it such an agreeable read that I immediately requested this sequel from my local public library. I am glad that I did as it certainly met my expectations.

A delight to read, another unique, heart-warming story from Hazel Prior with an environmental message.

If you read and enjoyed Veronica McCreedy’s adventures previously you will enjoy this one, as she sets off on another one, this time with a young friend and involving television!  No problem if you wish to read this as a stand-alone, but I would recommend reading ‘Away with the Penguins’ first for a better understanding of how the continuing story got to this point.


My review of : Away with the Penguins


Précis Courtesy of Goodreads: 

Veronica McCreedy can't resist the promise of adventure . . .

Nine-year-old Daisy and nearly ninety-year-old Veronica make an unlikely pair of friends.

Fiercely independent and impeccably dressed, Veronica has lived an incredible 87 years. Most of them alone, in her huge house by the sea. But with the arrival of brave and resilient Daisy into her life, Veronica finds she has a renewed thirst for adventure - and that they both share a passion for penguins!

So when Veronica and Daisy are invited to travel to the other side of the world together and visit the penguins of the southern hemisphere, they both jump at the chance.

Veronica had thought her days of new friendships, family and love were over, but perhaps it's never too late for one more adventure?


Author Profile:

                                             Courtesy of Goodreads 

Hazel Prior lives on Exmoor with her husband and a huge ginger cat. As well as writing, she works as a freelance harpist. Hazel is the author of Ellie and the Harp-Maker and Away with the Penguins, which was a #1 bestseller in ebook and audiobook. Call of the Penguins is her third novel. For more autobiographical information, visit ABOUT | hazelprior.co.uk


Photographs and Biographical Information courtesy of the following sites:

Amazon Author Page   Hazel Prior - Twitter    Official Author Website  

Instagram  Goodreads - Author Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.