Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Anita Burgh–The Person





This is a follow on from yesterdays post about The The Broken Gate. The information here is all taken from Video Google from an interview done for Chatshow Network show six years ago. There do not seem to be any copyright restrictions as it was available for embedding, so with thanks to them I am sharing by reproducing here this video and interview.
Anita Burgh has led a very interesting life, she was born the daughter of a housemaid and is now a Lady, do watch this video to learn more or read the interview below. It explains so much about where her inspiration for her novels really comes from.

This video is entitled part one but there was no sign of a follow up being available.
The happiest years of Anita Burgh's childhood, were the years during the second world war which she spent at Lanhydrock, Cornwall, the estate of Viscount Clifden. Anita describes her life there as idyllic and says "Lanhydrock was the entire world to me, a magical, wonderful, beautiful world." It was also a house and family stuck in a time warp, that of Victorian England and would prove to be an immense source of inspiration when, much later in life, Anita began writing novels, many of which are set in the Victorian and Edwardian eras. When Anita, whose origins were then considered to be quite lowly, married her husband, a member of the English aristocracy, it caused an outcry. In fact she had no idea until they became engaged, and she was taken to meet the family, that her fiance was the future Lord Burgh. They had met on a houseboat, albeit in Cheyne Walk and lived on kippers, so she had assumed that he was a penniless student. However, it was visiting the family estate in Scotland and where Anita encountered class distinctions, that was to prove invaluable material, when Anita came to write her first book. After watching an interview with a Mills and Boon author who earned £250,000 a year, Anita decided that would be the answer to all their financial problems. She sat the family down and said we had better write a best seller - three hours later she was the only one left and her career as a novelist had begun, because as Anita says "It was such fun". Since then she has written twenty novels and her latest "The Broken Gate", is the first part of a trilogy, so there are at least two more in the pipeline! Anita has overcome many difficulties, including problems on both sides of the family when she married, her father accused her of being a traitor, whilst his family looked down their noses at her and then the subsequent breakdown of the marriage. She has also overcome dyslexia, which is no mean feat for a novelist. Anita is in the rare position of having experienced life from "both sides of the tracks". She grew up listening to her mother and grandmother's stories of life in service and then her own marriage into the world aristocracy; all of which Anita draws upon in her writing and which makes for fascinating reading.   (Transcript from the video interview)
Now we know where and how Anita Burgh got her inspiration from for the twenty novels she has had published since she was fifty! What an interesting lady.

 l

10 comments:

  1. Hi there. I have read many countless books over many years, but have never come across this Author before (Anita Burgh). Having noted that she spent her childhood at Lanhydrock, it has prompted me to read one of her books. I have visited Lanhydrock on many occasions. It is now a National Trust property and just over the border in Cornwall (I live in Devon). I will let you know how I get on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very surprised as her back catalogue is fairly impressive, twenty novels published since her fiftieth Birthday. Unfortunately the title I have just reviewed has already been Mooched from me, otherwise I would have sent it to you. I will look forward to hearing what you think of her novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting video Lindy. Thanks for bringing it here for the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vibha - I thought it was very interesting ,so glad you agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I had no idea of her background. Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talli - You can now understand where she gets all her ideas for her novels from, which is what I found interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen some of her novels, but have never read them. I like it that you actually include here on your blog interesting stuff and background of the author in addition to book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buckeroomama - Thankyou for letting me know your thoughts, it makes the research worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for writing about me - you made me sound far more interesting than I deserve. I was googling my name such an egotistic occupation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasure, though it was a long time ago now, so probably out of date.

      Delete

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.