Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies

 


                                    Book Cover


I enjoy the writing of Dinah Jefferies and I am catching up with her back catalogue at the moment, she provides escapism and transports me to another world.

This time to Ceylon in the nineteen thirties with a story of hope and love after a shocking betrayal. The settings are vividly described and the reader is transported to the ramparts of Galle and the cinnamon plantation in the hills.

The protagonist Louisa Reeve is The Sapphire Widow of the title, the daughter of a gem trader. Her businessman husband Elliot dies suddenly in mysterious circumstances and she discovers that her marriage was not as happy as he led her to believe. 

Dinah Jefferies obviously puts a lot of effort into her research and her novels are always wonderfully evocative of the places and period she is writing about Recommended to anyone who is a fan of historical romantic fiction and those that enjoy learning more about life in exotic locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.