Monday, February 14, 2011

Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott

 

Medium

 

Little Women is one of my favourite classics from my childhood. While I rarely re-read novels I decided to make an exception for this. It was after reading March by Geraldine Brooks last year I felt that I wanted to renew my acquaintance with Meg, Jo Beth and Amy.

Using the character of John March, Geraldine Brooks created a touching well written story which is in my opinion a decent read but nothing more. It seems I may well be in the minority holding this opinion as I learnt that the novel won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2006. This award is presented to a 'distinguished' work of fiction by an American author, preferably dealing with American life. This last paragraph is taken from my original review where you can read more of my thoughts concerning this sequel.

My interest in reading Little Women again made it the perfect choice for another reading challenge I have signed up for.

The Victorian Literature Challenge

Although originally published in 1868 I think the March girls still have a message to give us, which is probably why it has been a favourite of so many generations of young girls. A heart rending story of a family that despite times of poverty and despair, discover that love and hope can overcome. It is the little things in life that are important and the love of family and friends. We see Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy progress from little girls into young women with growing maturity as they deal with the problems they encounter. Whilst some of these issues may seem out-dated to the modern reader, many are still relevant to a 21st century generation that will read and enjoy Little Women

I must warn you though that there is a lot of moralizing and Louisa M Alcott’s style of writing is rather cloying, but remember this was written in 1867 when life was very different and it is also a semi autobiographical novel. Overcome this and it is worth reading if you have never done so.

Louisa M. Alcott

Louisa May Alcott (November 29, 1832 – March 6, 1888) was an American novelist. She is best known for the novel Little Women, set in the Alcott family home, Orchard House in Concord, Massachusetts, and published in 1868. This novel is loosely based on her childhood experiences with her three sisters. The photo and biographical information in this post are courtesy of Wikipedia where you can if interested find out more about her.

19 comments:

  1. I've flicked over this post several times today LindyLou, and felt that I didn't really have anything to contribute because, believe it or not, I've never actually read the book. I can't believe that you#ve actually taken on yet another reading challenge! Do you speed read?! I promise that I will put this one of my "one to read List!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linday,
    So glad we're regular visitors to each other's blogs. It will be fun doing the Italian challenge with you. Hugs.
    Mirella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one so much growing up. I wanted to be just like Jo. I may need to re-read this in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to read Little Women when I was in about in Middle School and just didn't like it. I am tempted to try it now, as an adult, as so many people have such fond recollections of that book. I may have to put in on my list of classics to read or reread. So many books....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I am going to read this for my classics challenge under the YA category and I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thisisme@ No I read at a very normal pace I think just as often as I can, which is not often enough at the moment. Your TBR list appears to be growing thanks to me, sorry!
    Mirella@ Absolutely, I look forward to seeing what you choose.
    Avid Reader @ It is a very quick read and interesting to see how one views it differently through adult eyes.
    Pam@ It might be worth another try?
    Brenna@ Do please pop back and post the link here when you have written your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite books.I've somehow never managed to read the unabridged version. I need to classics more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I've never actually read thi book? Shameful, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bedazzled@ You may well have read it as 'Good Wives' as it was also published in two parts.

    Talli@ Yes as there are just so many books in the world waiting to be read, not shameful at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how wonderful! Little Women was the very first "big" book I read - when I was 8 years old, and it opened my eyes to the world of imagination. We had the Readers' Digest Companion Books series, and so I read LW, followed by Good Wives, then Little Men, and then Jo's Boys. It is right up there with Anne of Green Gables, and Pride and Prejudice for books I will read again and again and again, for the pure JOY I get from them. Now I have an ESL version for my daughter, and so it will be the first chapter book she reads in English :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Picked up this book yesterday after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I LOVED this book when I was a teenager. It made want to write my own family newspaper!!

    I hadn't thought to reread it as an adult....but you're doing a good job persuading me!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo@ Yes I read them all as well, but only ones I still have copies of are LW and PP. It is lovely to think your daughter is going to be reading this, as I mentioned it still has relevance.

    Vibha@ I will look forward to your review :)

    Sarah@ I used to do that sort of thing as a child as well, newspapers and tape radio shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like little woman! i thk its the best

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lily@ Welcome and thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love this book! And the movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book is on my list for the Victorian challenge too. Can't wait to finally read it. I don't know why I haven't already.

    BTW, thanks for your well wishes for my recent trip. It was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE Little Women! I remember my parents giving me the book when I was 12.

    ReplyDelete
  19. EmptyNester@ I have missed out somehow as never seen any of the films!

    BookQuoter@ I will be interested to hear what you think.

    Buckeroomama@ I hope you have saved it for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.